Kate’s savoury mince (with hidden vegetables)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium courgette, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped mixed vegetables (the more variety the better, eg. broccoli, mushroom, cauliflower, silver beet, celery, cabbage, even a little pumpkin or kumara)
- 500g lean minceground beefXd beef
- oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-reduced beef stock powder
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 jar tomato pasta sauce or 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley if you have it
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Blend all vegetables in a food processor or with a blender until puréed.
2 Brown meat in a spray of oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Drain mince well, then return to pan and add puréed uncooked vegetables.
3 Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes (60 minutes is ideal to allow flavours to develop), stirring regularly.
4 Serve with rice or use in lasagne, over corn chips or in place of bolognese sauce over pasta.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock powder.