Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 large eggplantaubergineX, cut into 0.5cm-thick slices
400g lean lamb minceground beefX
1 teaspoon fresh or minceground beefXd garlic
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 medium courgette, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
2 large red potatoes, skin on, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
400g jar tomato passata
50g crumbled feta
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
2 cups steamed broccoli florets, to serve
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 7g
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Spray an 18cm x 28cm rectangular baking dish with olive oil and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place eggplant in a single layer on the prepared tray. Spray with olive oil and season with cracked black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until just tender.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add lamb mince, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until mince is almost browned. Add courgette and potato and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until the courgette is softened.
- Spread 1 cup of passata in the base of prepared baking dish. Spread over half of the mince mixture and top with half of the eggplant slices. Spread over remaining meat sauce and a final layer of eggplant. Finish with remaining tomato pasta sauce.
- Combine feta and grated cheddar and scatter over the dish. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden. Serve moussaka with steamed broccoli.
Make it gluten free: Check passata is gluten free.
Eggplant slices can also be cooked in a pan and will take 2 minutes each side.