Mixed vegetable lentil bake
Time to make: 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 3/4 cups red lentils
- 4 rashers lean bacon, grilled
- olive oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups raw mixed vegetables such as carrots, cabbage and leek, diced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 400g can diced tomatoes with garlic and herbs
- 1 cup vegetable stock made with 1 teaspoon stock powder and 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
1 Cook lentils in boiling water until tender. Meanwhile, grill bacon then cut in small pieces. Drain and place in a lightly greased ovenproof dish. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2 Heat a large non-stick frying pan with oil spray and cook onion until softened. Add some more oil spray and cook the first lot of vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
3 Add to lentils and toss to mix. Stir in spinach with chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Add bacon. Toss lightly to mix. Season to taste.
4 Sprinkle with cheeses and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly golden. Serve garnished with fresh parsley if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of bacon, canned tomatoes and stock.