Mother’s Day savoury French toast in a mug
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 slice of grainy bread with seeds
1/4 cup trim milk
1 teaspoon parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 teaspoon LSA or 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 spring onion, chopped
1 cherry tomato
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Spray a large tea mug with cooking oil. Tear the bread into small pieces and place them in the mug.
2 Crack the egg into a bowl. Add milk and beat with a fork until mixed thoroughly. Add the parmesan, LSA (or poppy seeds) and the chopped spring onion. Pour the mixture into a microwave-proof mug. Wait 1 minute.
3 Microwave on high for 1 minute, then check. If the mixture is runny, cook for 10 more seconds. Check and cook for another 10 seconds if needed. Place the tomato on top. Serve straight in the mug, with a side salad if desired.
- Make it gluten free: Use a gluten-free bread with seeds
- You can replace the spring onion with a tablespoon of freshly chopped herbs like parsley, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Want to make it even healthier? Line the mug with fresh spinach leaves before you put in the bread.
- If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can use a sliver of sundried tomato or a teaspoon of tomato sauce.
- A slice of sourdough bread also works well in this recipe.
Did you Know? French toast doesn’t come from France. Historians trace it back to the Roman Empire, where bread soaked in milk (sometimes with egg) would be fried in oil until golden. The Romans called it ‘golden bread’. Tell your mum.