Mustard steak with tasty veg and salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 medium-sized potato, cut in chunks
125g lean beef steak
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon reduced-fat crème fraÎche
1 tablespoon low-fat plain yoghurt
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or mixed herbs
sprinkle Tuscan seasoning
1 1/2 cups salad vegetables such as spring onion, cucumber and tomato
1/2 cup rocket
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Total fat 22g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Place potato chunks in a small pan of water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain, return to pan and keep warm.
2 Spray a non-stick pan with oil and heat. Season steak with pepper. Cook each side for 1 1/2 minutes, depending on how you like it cooked. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add vinegar to pan and quickly stir in crème fraÎche, yoghurt and mustard with tarragon. Heat gently to make sauce. Pour over steak. Keep warm.
3 Wipe out pan. Re-spray with oil and add potatoes with Tuscan seasoning. Cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden. Serve with steak and salad vegetables and rocket drizzled with balsamic.
Make it gluten free: Check mustard and Tuscan seasoning are gluten free.
Make this meal again with different flavours:
- Replace mustard with pesto for a creamy pesto sauce.
- Replace mustard with smoky barbecue sauce for a creamy barbecue sauce.
- Use lamb steak or a pork fillet instead of beef.
- Mix up potatoes with kumara, pumpkin and parsnips.
- Change the potato seasoning to smoked paprika or cumin.
- Replace salad with cooked greens such as broccoli or bok choy.