Pepper steak with bread salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- Bread salad
- 4 slices day-old Italian-style bread, torn in 2cm pieces
- 2 small cucumbers, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x 125g porterhouse or scotch fillet steaks, trimmed
- cooking oil spray
- 6 cups mixed lettuce leaves
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 4g
1 To make Bread salad, place bread, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, basil, oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
2 Sprinkle pepper on both sides of beef. Spray a chargrill pan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Cook beef, turning, for 7-8 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Stand for 5 minutes to rest.
3 Serve beef with Bread salad and lettuce.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread.
You can add some roasted mushrooms or 1 cup mashed cauliflower without overdoing the kilojoules. One tablespoon of a low-kilojoule tomato salsa is a great idea, too.