Roast lamb dinner with skordalia
Time to make: 4 hrs 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
2kg lamb leg, fat trimmed (1.1kg-1.2kg meat)
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1.5kg white-skinned potatoes, coarsely chopped, plus extra potato (about 500g)
4 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
2 small cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Preheat oven to 150°C. In a baking dish, place lamb and 1/2 cup water. Pour cup of the lemon juice over lamb, then sprinkle with oregano. Cover dish with foil and roast for 2 1/2 hours.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper, place potatoes, carrots and lemon thyme on it. Drizzle with remaining lemon juice. Season with cracked black pepper.
- Increase oven temperature to 200°C. Uncover lamb and discard foil. Roast lamb and vegetables for 30 minutes. Remove lamb from oven. Stand, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Add broccoli to tray with vegetables. Roast vegetables for 20 minutes more, or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, make skordalia. In a saucepan of boiling water, cook extra potato for 15 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a small knife. Drain, discard skin and coarsely chop. Press potato through a fine sieve into a bowl. Add garlic, olive oil and ½ cup water and stir to combine. Season with cracked black pepper.
- Serve lamb with vegetables and skordalia.