Sausage, spinach and white bean casserole
Time to make: 8 hrs 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 19.72 / $ 4.93 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 tablespoon olive oil
200g Freedom Farms pork and fennel sausage, cut in 2-3cm slices
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 cup roughly chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup chopped celery stalks
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs or Moroccan seasoning (see tip)
1 1/4 cups dried white beans, rinsed
2 large tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
6 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
3 cups finely chopped baby spinach or silver beet
3 cups cooked couscous
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (if using Italian herbs) or chopped fresh coriander (if using Moroccan seasoning)
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 20g
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and fennel seeds and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Add onion, garlic, tomato paste, carrots, celery, bay leaves and herbs. Cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except spinach.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, stir through spinach. Serve casserole garnished with parsley or coriander, on top of couscous.
- Servings : 4
- Ingredient : Baby spinach, Carrots, Celery, Couscous, Garlic - fresh, Herbs - dried, lightly dried, Herbs - fresh, Oil, oil spray, Onions - red, Pepper, peppercorns, Salt, Sausages, sausage meat, sausage mince, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Tomato paste, Tomatoes - fresh, White beans
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free couscous and check tomato paste and seasoning are gluten free.
The flavour of this dish transforms depending on which seasoning and herbs you choose.