Slow-cooked beef, barley and vegetables
Time to make: 3 hrs 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
Total cost: $ 27.18 / $ 4.53 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 800g lean beef chuck steak, fat-trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups liquid no-added-salt beef stock
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 6 slices multigrain bread
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Brown beef in 3 batches. Transfer to a plate.
2 Cook onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes. Add browned beef, garlic, thyme, tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and barley. Stir to combine and bring to the boil.
3 Cover and transfer dish to oven for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender and barley is cooked. Add extra cup of water after 2 hours if casserole looks a bit dry. Remove lid in last 30 minutes to thicken sauceif necessary. Add beans in last 20 minutes of cooking.
4 Fold spinach through casserole to wilt then serve with bread.
- Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free, use gluten-free bread, and use brown rice instead of barley.
- Slow-cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.