Spiced (pickled) peaches
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole coriandercilantroX seeds
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 kg small, firm, yellow-flesh peaches (the smaller the better as large ones may not fit in the jar)
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 To make a spice bag, use a piece of muslin or cut a small circle out of an old clean tea towel. In the bag, place whole allspice, mixed spice, cloves and coriander seeds. Tie with string. Bash a few times with the rolling pin to bruise the spices.
2 Dissolve sugar in water and vinegar. Add spice bag, star anise and cinnamon. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3 While syrup is simmering, peel peaches. Cook them in syrup for about 3 minutes, or until just tender.
4 Bottle peaches in hot syrup.
You can also include cinnamon and star anise in preserve if you wish.
See our article Preserving basics for some handy preserving techniques.