Taro toss with miso honey chilli sauce and lime-glazed chicken
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
200g taro, peeled, spiralised or cut in thin strips (see tips), or use kumara
2 spring onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 carrot, julienned or spiralised
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
2 courgettes, julienned or spiralised
1/2 cup shelled frozen edamame beans
1 teaspoon olive oil
250g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced in thirds
zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons miso paste
1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
2cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 chilli, finely chopped
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 12g
- Fill a pot with water and bring to the boil. Add taro. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until taro is almost cooked through. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add carrot, capsicum and courgettes and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add taro to pan and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients with ¼ cup of water and mix well. Add sauce to pan and stir through vegetables. Add edamame beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes until taro is cooked through. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add chicken and cook, turning, until cooked through and golden (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and squeeze over lime juice. Toss. Sprinkle with lime zest.
- To serve, divide veges and chicken between 2 plates.
Make it gluten free: Check miso and soy sauce are gluten free.
If using taro, wear gloves and cook thoroughly, to avoid hand, skin, mouth and throat itching caused by a substance in raw taro called calcium oxalate (see In season January for more information).
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $86. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!