Vegetable barley soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
200g mushrooms, sliced
400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained and rinsed
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 cup pearl barley
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock (plus 2 cups water)
1 cup green beans, roughly chopped
1 cup green peas, defrosted if frozen
1 cup corn sweetcornXkernels, defrosted if frozen
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
ground black pepper to taste
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 17g
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat, add next 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat again and simmer until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes. If you notice that the soup needs more liquid, add more water, ½ cup at a time.
- Mix in beans, peas and corn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf from the soup, stir in parsley and season.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls. Scatter over remaining parsley and serve.
Make it vegan: Check stock is vegan.