COVER FEATURE: Diabetes, a Kiwi epidemic • Healthy pantry makeover for $50 • Perscription medication and weight gain • Getting enough fibre when you’re gluten free • Which stock is best? • Healthier cream replacements • Make ahead and freeze recipe special • and much more… (Price includes postage and packaging. For delivery overseas, please email email@example.com).
- Lower your diabetes risk: HFG Senior Nutritionist Rose Carr demystifies the facts, and we share Julie’s story – living as a ‘diabetic in denial’ for over 15 years.
- Make over your pantry for less than $50: Consider your freezer and your flavourings, not just your basic essentials, says nutritionist Brooke Longfield.
- Bitter pill – What to do when your meds cause weight gain: Philipa Sandall says you’re not alone.
- Gluten free but worried about fibre? We talk not just wholegrains but 10 other sources of gluten-free fibre, plus meal ideas.
- Food for thought: Editor-in-chief Niki Bezzant considers the star quality of pulses.
- Shopping savvy: Donating groceries online with the Salvation Army, celebrating eggs, book review, plus Niki’s lunch of the month.
- How to choose: Stock
- How to get your daily: Magnesium
- How much… is in that? Saturated fat in biscuits
- Shopping for: Cream alternatives
- This versus that: Non-dairy milks
This month’s recipes
- In season: Granny Smith apples and turnips
- 5pm panic: Stress-less weekdays meals
- Easy freeze: Freezer-friendly feasts
- 4 ways with grains: Get to know some new staples
- Vegan delights: Jeremy Dixon makes over two tradtional dishes
- Kids in the kitchen: Mmm, savoury pumpkin pikelets …
- Freeze a smoothie: A smart idea to kickstart your day
… and more!