Spiced pumpkin soup
- 1 crown pumpkin
- 1 onion
- 1 large potato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Total fat 4g
Saturated fat 1.2g
Dietary fibre 5.7g
- Chop the onion and garlic finely and chop the pumpkin into evenly sized chunks of about 10cm. Dice the potato.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic and potato and cook until the onion is soft but not coloured.
- Add the pumpkin, stock and spices and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about half an hour, until the pumpkin is tender.
- Take the soup off the heat. Using a hand-held blender, blend the soup until smooth. Or using a regular blender, blend half the soup at a time and tip back into the pot. (If you don't have a blender, you could mash the pumpkin with a masher, or push it through a sieve with a spoon.)
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and parsley or coriander sprigs.
- Serve with toasted tortillas or bread (gluten-free options are available).
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..