Green bean and mushroom salad
- 4 cups green beans, fresh or frozen (can be sliced or baby beans)
- 2 cups button or flat mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
Total fat 0.5g
Saturated fat 0.1g
Dietary fibre 4.3g
- Microwave or steam beans just enough so they are still bright green and crisp, but not frozen in the middle of course (probably about 2 minutes if fresh, 3 minutes if frozen).
- Meanwhile, stir-fry mushrooms on high heat, along with onion and garlic.
- Throw green beans into a serving bowl, add onion, mushroom and garlic stir-fry on top. Spread tomato on top of that (halved cherry tomatoes work well, too).
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Cheryleita says: "This is so easy, it almost doesn't deserve to be called a recipe. It is what I take to every barbecue and there is never any left over. The colours look lovely and summery together, and it can be safely served at room temperature so it won't take up valuable room in the fridge at barbecue time. You can always add some smoked fish or sliced boiled eggs to add protein if you're not planning on cooking a lot of meat."
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..