Cannellini bean soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 400g can tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 spring onion
Total fat 4.8g
Saturated fat 0.7g
Dietary fibre 9g
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and leeks and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until slightly softened. Stir in stock, then add carrot, cannellini beans, chopped tomatoes and coriander.
- Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer into a food processor (or use a stick blender) and blend until smooth. Return to pan and gently reheat. Garnish with chopped or sliced spring onions and serve with slices of fresh wholemeal bread.
Amie says: "I started making this soup as I was starting a healthy eating and fitness programme. The soup is low in fat yet still manages to fill your hunger and satisfy your taste buds. It takes no time at all to make and is equally good if you're in a hurry or want to have a sit-down meal. I'm a diabetic so I enjoy wholemeal bread with it as the carbohydrate part of the meal."
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..