Chinese-style chicken noodle soup
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or 1 fresh chilli, sliced (optional)
- 1 whole star anise
- 200g boneless chicken breast, sliced
- 150g dried egg noodles
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced Chinese cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Place stock, water, ginger, garlic, chilli (if using) and star anise in a large pot. Bring to the boil.
- Add chicken pieces and simmer until just cooked through (about 10 minutes). Add noodles, bean sprouts and cabbage to the pot. Simmer until noodles are tender.
- Remove whole spices from the pot. Divide noodles between two bowls and pour the soup over. Finish with sesame oil and soy sauce. Serve immediately, garnished with spring onions if desired.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of stock, noodles and soy sauce.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..