1 recipe = 4 dinners: Herby onion rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
Total fat 4.5g
Saturated fat 0.8g
Dietary fibre 1.9g
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add onions and thyme or rosemary. Season and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are soft. (Cooking the onions slowly brings out their gorgeous sweetness.)
- Add rice and vegetable stock then cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is almost cooked. Under-cook the rice slightly so it retains some bite, as it will finish cooking in each recipe.
- Cool and chill for up to 24 hours or use immediately in one of these recipes:
If you're making this ahead, cool the rice as quickly as possible and chill it until required.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..