Easy beef and bean quesadillas
- frying pan or medium saucepan for the beef and bean mixture
- frying pan or stove top grill plate to cook the quesadillas
- cheese grater
- can opener
- knife for chopping
- board for chopping
- spatula for turning the quesadillas
- spoon for the filling
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 420g can baked beans
- 420g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large pinch chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon beef stock powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cooking spray
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
Total fat 19.6g
Saturated fat 6.6g
Dietary fibre 6.9g
- Heat the pan and add the mince, stirring until it is brown and crumbly. Add the onion and cook till soft.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, spices, stock, Worcestershire sauce, purée and sugar, then mix well. Simmer the mixture until quite thick. Don't put on a lid.
- Heat the frying pan or stove-top grill. Spray a tortilla lightly on one side with cooking spray. Spread the unsprayed side with meat mixture and a little grated cheese and place spray side down on the grill plate or in the frying pan.
- Spray a second tortilla and place on top with the spray side facing up, so when you turn the quesadilla over the spray makes it go brown and crispy without sticking.
- When brown on the bottom and slightly crispy, use a spatula to turn it over and cook on the other side. Cut into wedges and serve with a salad or eat as a snack.
The beef and bean filling can also be used to fill jacket potatoes or just rolled in a tortilla like a burrito.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..