Spicy pork skewers with apple coleslaw
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in cold water
- 600g pork fillets, cut into 2cm-thick pieces
- 2 small red onions, halved, each half cut in 4 wedges
- cooking oil spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder*
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 red delicious apple
- 2 limes, juice
- 450g savoy cabbage, hard core removed, shredded
- 3 stalks celery, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream*
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lime, cut in wedges, to serve
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3.6g
Dietary fibre 5.7g
1 Thread pork pieces and onion wedges onto skewers. Lightly spray skewers with cooking oil. Place in a glass dish. Sprinkle with curry powder and turn to evenly coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow flavours to develop.
2 To make coleslaw, core apples and cut in matchsticks. Place in a large bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and toss to combine. Add cabbage, celery, coriander, sour cream and garlic. Gently toss to combine. Set aside until required.
3 Heat a chargrill or barbecue grill on medium-high. Add pork skewers and cook for about 6-7 minutes, turning occasionally, or until brown and cooked. Divide coleslaw among serving plates. Top with skewers and serve with lime wedges.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..