Super-quick strawberry brûlées
Total cost: $ 8.50 / $ 2.12 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 8 gingernut biscuits
- 4 teaspoons brandy
- 1 punnet (1 1/2 cups) fresh strawberries, chopped
- 200g tub quarg
- 6 tablespoons castor sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ramekins or small glasses
Total fat 6.7g
Saturated fat 3.9g
Dietary fibre 1.1g
- Place the gingernut biscuits into a food processor and blend until they resemble crumbs. Transfer to a bowl, pour over the brandy and mix well. Spoon equal amounts of the biscuit mixture into 4 ramekins and press down lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Put 3/4 of the quarg into a bowl, add the strawberries and lightly combine. Spoon equal amounts on top of the biscuit mixture and add the remaining quarg on top to even them out, making them as flat as possible.
- In a small saucepan, pour in the sugar, water and lemon juice. Place over a medium heat and constantly stir with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes. The mixture will bubble up and gradually turn golden and thicken. Remove from the heat and stir briskly to remove all the bubbles until you have a syrupy consistency.
- Moving quickly, carefully pour equal amounts over the top of the strawberry mixture and swirl the ramekins around in your hand to make sure the caramel covers the top completely. Transfer to the fridge for 20 minutes or until the caramel has hardened. Once ready to serve, smash your way in with a spoon and devour!
Raspberries, blueberries or peaches work really well in this recipe, too.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..