- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 cups water
- 500g (approx 2 1/2 cups) boysenberries (frozen are fine)
- juice of 2 lemons
Total fat 5g
Dietary fibre 1.9g
- Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil for 2 minutes. Cool the syrup completely and store in the fridge until required.
- If using frozen berries defrost them first, then purée the berries and push through a sieve to remove the seeds and fibres.
- Mix the sieved pureé and lemon juice into the cold syrup and taste – use additional lemon juice to add tartness if needed.
- Place the mixture into a rigid, freezer-proof container and freeze until edges are crystallised. Use a fork to scrape the crystals into the middle of the container and return to the freezer. Continue the process scraping the mixture and refreezing 3 times to produce big irregular crystals.
- Serve granita in chilled glasses as a refreshment or dessert accompaniment.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..