Couscous and chickpea salad
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 300g can chickpeas, drained
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- 2 cups rocket (or any salad greens)
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried fruit (pears, apricots, dates)
Total fat 14.7g
Saturated fat 2.7g
Dietary fibre 4.8g
1 Pour the boiling water over the couscous in a heatproof bowl. Cover the bowl with a plate and set aside for a few minutes while you chop the other ingredients and open the cans.
2 After 5 minutes, fluff the couscous with a fork. Add all the other ingredients, toss well to combine.
Jazz it up: add chopped leftover roast veges (pumpkin and kumara are lovely), chopped cooked meat – chicken, beef, lamb, add canned salmon or tuna.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..