Curried parsnip soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped (I used braeburn)
- 200ml lite coconut milk (I used Trident)
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander
- salt and pepper
- few dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
Total fat 4.3g
Saturated fat 0.8g
Dietary fibre 5.6g
1 Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and fry lightly for 5 minutes until soft. Add the parsnips and cook for a few more minutes, then stir in the turmeric and curry powder. Add the apple and pour in the stock. Lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the parsnips are soft.
2 Pour the mixture into a blender (or use a stick blender) and purée until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and reheat, then pour in the coconut milk. Season to taste. Add the coriander and optional dashes of Tabasco just before serving. Serve with crusty bread.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..