Gumbo with vegetables, coconut and ginger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup diced pumpkin or kumara (small dice)
- 2 cups green veg, chopped (use peas, courgettes, spinach – whatever you have)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas (or equivalent quantity of home-soaked and cooked beans)
- 2 teaspoons garum masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons oil
- approx 330ml (1 can) lite coconut cream or lite coconut-flavoured evaporated milk
Total fat 5.6g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6.2g
1 Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté onion and garlic. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they are popping, then add the all the other spices.
2 Mix well and add the tomatoes, stock, vegetables and chickpeas and simmer until all the vegetables are tender; around 50 minutes. Stir in the coconut cream or evaporated milk and serve.
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 75 Minutes
- Ingredient : Cauliflower, Chickpeas, Coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut powder, Evaporated milk, evaporated soy milk, Garlic - fresh, Ginger - fresh, Kumara, sweet potato, Oil, oil spray, Onions, Pumpkin, butternut, squash, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Stock, Tomatoes - canned, Vegetables - mixed fresh, Vegetables - mixed frozen
If you can't find coconut-flavoured evaporated milk, use 3 capfuls (about 15 ml) of coconut essence to 1 can of lite evaporated milk.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..