Gluten-free chocolate cake
- 3/4 cup rice flour, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup soy, rice or almond milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Boysenberry topping
- 400g canned boysenberries
- 4 teaspoons gluten-free cornflour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (if boysenberries are in natural juice – if not, leave sugar out)
Total fat 8.1g
Saturated fat 1.7g
Dietary fibre 2.2g
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a ring mould with some oil.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Create a well in the centre. Break the egg into the well and beat in with some of the dry ingredients. Add the remaining wet ingredients and beat well.
- Pour into the ring mould and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin. Allow to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the icing: put the fruit and liquid into a pan with the cornflour and bring to the boil, stirring until it has thickened. Remove from the heat, cool and allow to thicken. Pour over the cake.
- Servings : 10
- Ready in : 50 Minutes
- Ingredient : Almond milk, Baking powder, Baking soda, bicarbonate soda, bicarb soda, Boysenberries, Cocoa powder, drinking chocolate, Coffee, Cornflour, Eggs, Oil, oil spray, Rice flour, Rice milk, Salt, Soy milk, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Sugars, Vanilla
Elise says: "This gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate cake is a real guilt-free treat for anyone and is especially handy for those with allergies. It is moist, low in saturated fat and oh so yummy!!! I have never failed serving this cake, it always turns out perfect! And, unlike most gluten-free food, it will not crumble! Hoorah!"
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..