Gluten-free celebration cakes
- canola oil spray, for greasing
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat spread
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup gluten-free baking mix
- 1/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or Craisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup apple purée
- 2 tablespoons treacle
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Lightly grease muffin-tray holes with oil. If the pan is non-stick, line bases with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place spread and sugar in a large bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Stir spice into baking mix then fold into egg mixture with apricots, cherries and dates.
- Add apple purée with treacle. Spoon into prepared tray. Bake for 25 minutes until firm to touch and golden-coloured. Ice with lemon cream cheese icing.
- Dress mini-cakes with icing topped with lemon peel curls and fresh mint.
- You can make these cakes in fun shapes and give them as gifts tied with ribbon. They are a particularly thoughtful gift for anyone who has just found they have coeliac disease or a wheat allergy and may be feeling daunted at the prospect.
- Iced or un-iced cakes keep well in the fridge in a sealed container for up to five days.
- See our cake-baking tips, for perfect cakes every time.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..