Pistachio and apricot biscotti
- non-stick baking paper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dessertspoon vanilla essence
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (70g pack) pistachios
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place baking paper on a baking tray. Beat eggs and sugar together until sugar is dissolved and mixture is pale and frothy.
- Stir in vanilla, flour, baking powder, nuts and dried fruit.
- Knead dough lightly and shape into 2 ‘flat’ logs. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool. The cracked top of cooked logs is normal.
- Use a serrated knife to cut logs in 5mm slices – you should get about 25 from each log. Place slices in batches on a cooling rack. Put cooling rack on a baking tray and carefully place in oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cooking slices on a rack allows hot air to circulate around biscotti, eliminating the need to turn them. Cool and store in an airtight container.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free baking mix instead of plain flour, and check your baking powder is gluten free.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..