- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can chopped or plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
Total fat 7.9g
Saturated fat 1.3g
Dietary fibre 7.4g
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, stirring with a wooden spoon from time to time. Add the celery, carrot and capsicum and cook for a further few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste with the tomatoes, sugar and wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 8-10 minutes until thickened.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with pasta and fresh basil leaves.
You can vary this sauce by using a little chilli paste with the tomato paste.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..