Tropical fruit strudels
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mango slices, fresh or canned
- 1/2 banana, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- cooking spray
- extra sugar for sprinkling
Total fat 4.4g
Saturated fat 0.4g
Dietary fibre 3.3g
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the fruit in a bowl with the sugar, juice and spice and mix well. Allow it to macerate for 5-10 minutes then assemble the strudels.
- Lay out a sheet of filo, keeping the remaining sheets covered with a sheet of greaseproof paper and a damp tea towel. Spray the sheet lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle on some brown sugar. Rub it over the sheet with your hand then fold the sheet in half lengthways. Spray lightly with cooking spray and place a spoonful of fruit at one end. Roll over a couple of times then fold in both sides. Roll over until you have a neat package and place on a greased tray.
- When all the strudels are assembled, spray lightly with cooking spray and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Filo will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks once opened, or put it in the freezer for longer storage.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..