Chocolate date and walnut balls
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 orange, zest
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 100g block dark chocolate*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Chop dates roughly. Place in a bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Add orange zest. Use a stick blender or food processor to blend to a finely chopped paste.
- Set 2 tablespoons walnuts aside. Add the remaining walnuts to dates and knead well to combine.
- Using cold wet hands, roll in 18 small balls. Set aside.
- Break or chop chocolate in small pieces. Melt chocolate slowly in a microwave or double-boiler. Use a cocktail fork or skewer to dip each ball in chocolate. Turn to ensure even coverage. Lift from bowl, allow any excess to run off, then transfer to wax or greaseproof paper on top of a plate or board. Sprinkle tops with the remaining walnuts and refrigerate to cool.
These bite-sized treats keep well in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..