Cinnamon and apricot pears
- 2 firm pears
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 orange, zest
- sprinkling of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Wash pears and cut in half lengthways. Trim base so pears can stand.
2 Stand pears in an ovenproof dish. In a bowl, combine sugar, breadcrumbs, orange zest, cinnamon, apricots and spread. Top each pear with breadcrumb mixture and press down lightly.
3 Pour 5 tablespoons of boiling water into base of dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes until pears are tender. Serve with a spoonful of yoghurt or custard.
- Replace apricots with sultanas.
- Cinnamon baked apples: Remove apple cores keeping apple intact. Make a sharp incision around the middle and place in an ovenproof dish. Use the same stuffing as for the pears to fill the centre of each apple. Pour boiling water into the base of dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until tender. Serve. (Note: There may be leftover filling depending on apple sizes.)
The filling can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for 1 day.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..