Step by step: Basic pizza dough
Time to make: 10 mins , plus 30 mins proving
Total cost: $ 1.26 / $ 1.26 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup plain flour plus extra for kneading
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 8g sachet dried yeast
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or mixed herbs
- about 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- cooking oil spray, to grease
No nutrition information available for this recipe.
1 Place flours in a large bowl with yeast, salt and dried herbs. Make a well in the centre. Use a palette knife or wooden spoon to mix in just enough water to bind mixture.
2 Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes to form a smooth (not sticky) ball. Use a little extra flour if you need to.
3 Spray a bowl and plastic wrap with a little oil spray. Place dough in bowl and cover with wrap. Set aside in a warm, draft-free place to prove (rise) for about 30 minutes.
4 Check dough has proved – when a finger is pressed on the dough, it will spring back a little.
5 Once dough is proved, use your fist or knuckle to punch down on dough. Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth.
6 Prepare dough for your favourite topping. Roll out dough to make 1 large pizza, or 4 smaller pizzas.
Use this dough to make delicious Chicken and capsicum pizza.
- Keep it warm. Make sure the kitchen and utensils are warm before you start making dough. Your dough will rise more quickly – about 30 minutes for one quantity of our basic recipe.
- Lukewarm water added to flour activates yeast, which enables the dough to rise. Be careful – hot water ‘kills’ yeast. ‘Hand-hot’ water is ideal.
- Invest in a pizza pan if you’re a pizza fan. Forming a standard round pizza will be easier and if you buy one with a perforated disc, air can circulate easily for a crisp crust.
- Plastic wrap is ideal for covering dough once it’s kneaded. Spray plastic lightly with oil to prevent any sticking to the dough.
- Always preheat the oven before cooking pizza.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..