Spinach, pesto and lemon risotto cake
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100ml white wine
- 500g (risotto-base) arborio rice
- 1 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock*
- 1/2 lemon, zest
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto*
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (130g) baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese*
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
2 Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion. Gently fry for 5 minutes until soft. Pour in wine and allow to bubble and evaporate. Add rice and stock. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until all liquid has absorbed and rice is sticky. Remove from heat.
3 Stir in lemon zest, pesto and pepper. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4 Once cool, mix in eggs, spinach and half the parmesan. Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Level with a spatula and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
5 Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to touch. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve in wedges.
Tomato and onion salad
To reduce cooking time, use partly-cooked rice, available in pouches from supermarkets.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..