Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 medium slices high-fibre white or wholegrain bread
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat cream cheese (or 1/2 teaspoon Marmite, or 1/2 teaspoon of your favourite mustard)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 heaped tablespoons grated reduced-fat cheese
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat a grill or sandwich press.
2 Spread a coat of cream cheese (or your chosen spread) on 2 of the 4 bread slices. Place slices of tomato on each coated bread slice. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
3 Cover with the remaining 2 bread slices. Press slices gently together.
4 Place in sandwich press, or on an ovenproof baking sheet lined with cooking paper if you're using an oven grill. Cook until bread is medium-brown.
5 Remove from oven or sandwich press. Allow to cool on your plate.
- The toaster's a no-no! Never use a conventional bread toaster for this recipe because cheese will get stuck and you simply won't believe the mess! Really. Don't. The experiment's not worth it.
- Go wild! Add a tablespoon of finely chopped onion to the cheese before you cook it, or try adding capsicum, pineapple, ham or mushroom.
- French-styles. For a more nutritious meal, crack an egg, beat it with a fork, and dip your bread in it before you toast it. It's just like French toast, but with cheese inside.
Boring safety bits – not!
- Never operate electrical appliances with wet hands.
- Turn off the grill or sandwich press as soon as the toasties are done.
- The toasties will be hot! Use oven mitts and tongs or a spatula to transfer the toasties onto a plate.
- Wait for toasties to cool down before you take a bite.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..