Spiced (pickled) peaches
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 kg small, firm, yellow-flesh peaches (the smaller the better as large ones may not fit in the jar)
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 To make a spice bag, use a piece of muslin or cut a small circle out of an old clean tea towel. In the bag, place whole allspice, mixed spice, cloves and coriander seeds. Tie with string. Bash a few times with the rolling pin to bruise the spices.
2 Dissolve sugar in water and vinegar. Add spice bag, star anise and cinnamon. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3 While syrup is simmering, peel peaches. Cook them in syrup for about 3 minutes, or until just tender.
4 Bottle peaches in hot syrup.
You can also include cinnamon and star anise in preserve if you wish.
See our article Preserving basics for some handy preserving techniques.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..