Beef and chilli bean pies
- olive oil spray
- 500g beef chuck steak, trimmed, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 420g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 125g can corn kernels, drained
- 1 sheet reduced-fat puff pastry, partially thawed
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat a large frying pan (with a lid) over a medium-high heat. Spray with oil. Cook beef in batches, 5 minutes each batch, or until browned. Remove and set aside.
2 Spray pan with oil. Cook onion, capsicum and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in chilli and tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Return beef to frying pan and add stock. Simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes. Add beans and corn. Cook for 25 minutes, or until beef is tender.
3 Spoon mixture into 4 x 1-cup capacity dishes. Cut 4 x 12cm-diameter circles from pastry and place on top, pressing over sides of dish to seal. Lightly spray with oil. Make a small slit in the top to allow steam to escape. Place on an oven tray. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until golden. Serve with vegetables or salad.
Make it gluten free: Check canned tomatoes, corn, stock and pastry are gluten free.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..