Lemon and almond cakes
- 100g olive oil spread
- 150g castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 heaped tablespoons flour
- 140g (2 packets) ground almonds
- 3 lemons, juice and zest
- 1-2 lemons, thinly sliced
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream spread and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, then add flour and mix well. Add almonds, zest and juice. Stir gently until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a 12-hole greased muffin tin. Top each cake with a slice of lemon to decorate.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until cakes are just firm and spongy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the cake middle comes out clean. Cover cakes with foil if necessary for the last few minutes to stop the tops browning too much.
- Cool in the tray for a few minutes before easing cakes out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm with a scoop of lemon sorbet or yoghurt. They’re good with a scattering of fresh berries, too.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
These cakes are moist and dense, and keep well for several days.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..