Carrot and caraway soup with toasted almonds
- 5 cups vegetable stock (make with 5 cups boiling water and 4 teaspoons stock powder)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds or ground coriander
- 900g carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 tablespoons almonds, toasted, roughly chopped
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 10g
1 Add a little stock to a large non-stick pan and cook onions and garlic until softened.
2 Add caraway seeds (or coriander), carrots, celery and a little more stock if needed. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
3 Add remaining stock and lentils. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender – about 10 minutes.
4 Purée soup in a blender (or use a hand blender) until smooth but slightly chunky. Serve topped with toasted almonds and garlic flatbread. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock powder and serve with gluten-free flat bread.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..