Basic no-knead bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- cornmeal or extra flour, for dusting
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 1g
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and yeast. Mix well.
- Add water and mix to make a sticky, shaggy dough. Cover bowl and leave overnight or for 12 hours in a warm place. The next morning (or 12 hours later) the dough will have risen and will have fine bubbles on the surface.
- Set oven to 250°C. Place a large cast-iron or Pyrex casserole dish with lid in oven for about 10 minutes until very hot. Remove and take lid off, ready to place dough inside.
- Dust a board with flour and gently place dough on board. Gently shape dough in a ball by folding edges into the centre. Sprinkle casserole dish with cornmeal or extra flour. Place dough, seam-side up, in dish.
- Using oven gloves, place covered casserole dish in oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid then bake for 15 more minutes until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- For a tasty wholemeal version, replace half the flour with wholemeal flour.
- Try using spelt flour for a wheat-free loaf.
- Add seeds for extra fibre: try 1/2 cup mixed seeds such as pumpkin, sesame, sunflower and flaxseeds.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..