Roast pork with herb and apricot stuffing
Time to make: 1 hr 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
Total cost: $ 18.90 / $ 3.15 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1–1.3kg boneless, skinless pork roast
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus 2 extra tablespoons, to garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander or mint
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 egg
- olive oil spray
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 1g
1 Preheat oven to 160°C. Remove string from pork. Unroll and place on a board.
2 To make stuffing, mix garlic with herbs, breadcrumbs, apricots and egg. Season then spread on one side of pork.
3 Roll up pork to enclose stuffing. Tie at regular intervals with string to secure (see tips below). Spray with olive oil.
4 Bake for 1 1/4–1 1/2 hours, basting several times, until juices run clear. Leave to rest before serving sprinkled with parsley. Serve with roasted vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breacrumbs.
- If meat has been refrigerated, bring to room temperature before cooking.
- To string a joint (in order to hold the joint together when cooking), use any string. Soak string in water for a few minutes before using to make it easier to remove after cooking.
- To rest a joint, leave meat in a warm place for at least 15 minutes so it doesn’t get cold. Resting a joint is essential as the meat relaxes and becomes more tender to make carving easier.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..