Spinach and ricotta shells with tomato and breadcrumbs
Time to make: 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
Total cost: $ 22.80 / $ 5.70 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 300g (3 cups) large pasta shells
- 1 packet (400g) spinach, trimmed
- 400g reduced-fat ricotta
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 670g jar (2 1/2 cups) tomato passata
- 1/4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain well.
2 Place spinach in a large heatproof bowl. Just cover with boiling water and set aside for 30 seconds. Drain then squeeze out excess water. In a large bowl, combine chopped spinach, ricotta, courgette, pine nuts and zest. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly oil a 1.5L/6 cup-capacity ovenproof baking dish. Spread 1 cup passata over base of dish. Spoon ricotta filling into pasta shells and arrange in a single layer in dish. Pour remaining sauce evenly over pasta then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and parmesan. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and bread, and ensure passata is also gluten-free.
- Make ahead: cook then fill shells and assemble dish ahead of time. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and parmesan over when ready to bake.
- This dish can be cooked ahead and frozen.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..