Beef ‘n’ bean burger
Time to make: 17 mins , plus 15 mins chilling
Total cost: $ 15.30 / $ 3.80 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 cup red kidney beans, mashed
- 400g lean beef mince
- 4 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- cooking oil spray
- 2 small red onions, cut in 1cm-thick rings
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices beetroot
- 4 multigrain bread rolls, toasted
- 4 tablespoons tomato salsa
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
- In a large bowl, combine beans, mince, spring onions, breadcrumbs and egg. Using your hands, shape mixture into four 1.5cm-thick patties. Refrigerate, covered, for 15 minutes to firm.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil. Over a medium-high heat, cook patties for 4-5 minutes each side, or until just cooked through. Remove and keep warm. Spray pan with more oil and cook red onion for 2 minutes each side.
- Place a lettuce leaf and a slice beetroot on the base of each bun. Serve topped with a patty, beetroot slice, onion rings and a spoonful of salsa.
Make it meat-free: Omit beef mince and use 2 cups of mashed pumpkin instead. Adjust the amount of breadcrumbs accordingly.
Double pattie recipe and freeze extras to use later in the week or in other meals. Simply defrost, cook and serve.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..