Pumpkin and lentil curry
- cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mild Indian curry paste
- 600g pumpkin, peeled, cut in 2cm cubes
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut in florets
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 100g baby spinach
- 250g 90-second microwaveable brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- fresh mint or coriander, to serve
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 16g
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add curry paste and stir through.
2 Add pumpkin, tomatoes, cauliflower, lentils and 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Stir occasionally, adding a little water if necessary. Stir through spinach and cook until wilted.
3 Meanwhile, cook rice following packet directions. Fold peas through cooked rice. Serve with curry and garnish with coriander or mint.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry paste and make sure canned chopped tomatoes are gluten free.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..