Mexican Caesar salad
- 4 extra-light flour tortillas
- cooking oil spray
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups torn cos lettuce
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 2 rashers lean bacon, grilled, chopped
- 400g can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 5 tablespoons oil-free French dressing
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place tortillas on baking trays. Spray with a little oil. Bake for 5 minutes until crisp. Cut in wedges.
- Boil eggs for 7 minutes. Drain and plunge in cold water. Peel and cut in quarters.
- Place lettuce in serving bowls. Add tortilla wedges with eggs, avocado, bacon, kidney beans and tomatoes.
- Mix lemon juice with taco seasoning and dressing. Pour over salad. Serve immediately garnished with fresh coriander (optional).
If not serving immediately, toss avocado in lemon juice to prevent it browning. Do not mix all the salad ingredients together until ready to serve.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..