Egg and bacon picnic pies
(Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins)
Total cost: $ 12.90 / $ 2.15 per serve
(at time of publication)
- oil spray, to grease
- 180g lean bacon, fat-trimmed, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 cup trim milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly oil a 6 x 1 cup-capacity Texas muffin pan. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook bacon and onion together for a few minutes. Add peas (if using) and remove from heat.
- Spray 1 filo pastry sheet lightly with oil then fold in half. Spray with oil and fold in half again. Press filo square into a muffin hole, folding in the sides to form a cup shape. Repeat with the remaining filo sheets. Divide bacon, onion and pea mixture among the 6 cups.
- Whisk 3 of the eggs and trim milk together with pepper. Pour over bacon mixture in the cups. Break an egg into each of the 6 cups, top with tomatoes and cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until filling is set. Serve warm or cold (for a picnic) with a salad.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..