Time to make: 10 mins , plus 1 hr chilling
Total cost: $ 9.80 / $ 0.70 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup fine desiccated coconut
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 In a blender process dates with orange juice until smooth. Remove from blender and stir in almonds, cocoa and cinnamon.
2 Scoop 1 teaspoonful of mixture and, with your hands, shape mixture into little balls. Roll balls in coconut, flatten into small cookies and arrange on a plate.
3 Place cookies in fridge for 1 hour then serve. Note: cookies will be soft and semi-pliable.
- Experiment with other nuts: pecans, walnuts, macadamia.
- Experiment with other flavours to replace the cinnamon: try vanilla, cardamom, ginger.
- If you are out of juice, use water instead.
- Although almonds are not true nuts, they can still cause allergies. For a nut-free recipe, replace the almonds with rolled oats.
- Not a fan of coconut? Use poppy seeds, sesame seeds or ground almonds instead.
- Make it gluten free: Check cocoa is gluten free.
If you don’t mind a gooey texture, you can skip the fridge stage and eat the cookies straight away!
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..