HFG caramel slice
Time to make: 50 mins , plus 2 hrs chilling
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 7.20 / $ 0.45 per serve
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 1 cup flour
- 125g reduced-fat spread, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 380g can caramel condensed milk
- 60g dark cooking chocolate
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 20cm x 20cm slice tin with oil and set aside.
- Thoroughly combine flour, melted spread, sugar and oats in a bowl. Press mixture in prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Spread caramel over cooked base and return tin to oven for 15 minutes or until caramel is firm and starting to bubble and brown.
- Remove slice from oven and cool. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over boiling water and melt, stirring, until completely smooth. Drizzle or spread over slice then refrigerate until set.
Before cutting slice, dip the knife in hot water – it stops the chocolate from cracking.
1 cup flour
1 cup coconut
1 cup brown sugar
440g condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
125g dark chocolate
What we did
- Removed coconut and replaced it with oats
- Halved sugar
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat spread
- Replaced golden syrup and condensed milk with Highlander Caramel condensed milk
- Reduced amount of chocolate
Traditional caramel slice (per serve)
Total energy 1360kJ
Total fat 18g (12g saturated fat)
HFG caramel slice (per serve)
Total energy 840kJ
Total fat 9g (3g saturated fat)
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..