Time to make: 1 hr 20 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
Total cost: $ 8.00 / $ 0.20 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 450g courgettes, peeled, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups dark cane sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sprinkling chilli flakes (optional)
Total fat 0g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 0g
1 Place all ingredients in a large non-stick pan. Heat gently until sugar dissolves.
2 Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, while stirring, for about 1 hour over a medium heat until thick. Spoon into prepared jars while still hot. Cover and refrigerate.
Keeping time: 2-3 weeks
How to sterilise jars
Unless preserves are stored in sterile jars, the contents can quickly go off. Here’s how to prepare your jars for preserving:
- Wash the lids and jars well in very hot, soapy water. Then rinse jars again in very hot water.
- Dry them off in the oven at 170°C for 10-20 minutes while your preserve finishes cooking.
- Pour or ladle the preserve into the jars while both are still hot. Cover immediately then store out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry spot.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..