Couscous and chickpea salad with orange-balsamic dressing
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon instant vegetable stock powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- about 1/4 telegraph cucumber, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 100g chargrilled red capsicum, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 iceburg lettuce, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (try a parsley/mint mixture)
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- black pepper, to taste
- Orange-balsamic dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Measure couscous and instant stock (if using) into a large bowl. Add boiling water then cover and leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, to make dressing, place all dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar then shake to combine.
3 Fluff soaked couscous with a fork then add chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum and red onion. Stir to combine then add lettuce, herbs, olives and half the feta.
4 Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining feta and serve.
Simon and Alison Holst
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..