Couscous and chickpea salad with orange-balsamic dressing
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon instant vegetable stock powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- about 1/4 telegraph cucumber, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 100g chargrilled red capsicum, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 iceburg lettuce, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (try a parsley/mint mixture)
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- black pepper, to taste
- Orange-balsamic dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 Measure couscous and instant stock (if using) into a large bowl. Add boiling water then cover and leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, to make dressing, place all dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar then shake to combine.
3 Fluff soaked couscous with a fork then add chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, capsicum and red onion. Stir to combine then add lettuce, herbs, olives and half the feta.
4 Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining feta and serve.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..